Ox Tongue with Mushroom Butter Sauce (Lengua Con Champignon)
Ox Tongue with Mushroom Butter Sauce (Lengua Con Champignon) SERVES 6
This is a family favorite- from generation to generation. It is a great dish to impress guests PLUS super comfort food !! I use a combination of several kinds of meat for the broth (calf's foot, beef briskets, rabbit, bones, etc.) Pig's tongue can be substituted, but adjust measurements. Original recipe by Nora Daza. You cant miss with this great tasting dish!
Ingredients for Ox Tongue with Mushroom Butter Sauce (Lengua Con Champignon):
- 1 ox tongue
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 piece bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1/4 cup white wine
- enough broth or water, to cover tongue
Preparation of Ox Tongue with Mushroom Butter Sauce (Lengua Con Champignon):
- Rub tongue w/ salt& vinegar.
- Rinse& boil 5 minutes.
- Scrape white coating on surface.
- Marinate in lemon juice& soy sauce for 1 hour.
- Brown in olive oil& butter.
- Set aside.
- In the same pan, saute garlic, onions,& tomatoes.
- Put back the tongue and blend the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour into large saucepan, bring to a boil, then lower heat, simmer for 3 hours or until tongue is tender.
- Strain sauce, set aside.
- Slice tongue& arrange on a platter.
- Prepare mushroom-butter sauce.
- For Mushroom Butter Sauce: Melt butter in skillet.
- Blend in flour.
- Add the mushrooms& strained sauce.
- Cook until bubbly.
- Water may be added if sauce is too thick.
- Pour over sliced meat& serve.