Chicken & Asparagus Cobb Loaf
Chicken & Asparagus Cobb Loaf SERVES 6 -8
Always a favourite at get-togethers, this easy cob loaf is quick to prepare and extremely moorish! I recommend a crusty cob loaf to avoid leaks! Also recipe can be adjusted to individual taste so the ingredients are only a guide. I also make a bacon and mushroom mixture which is also extremely good! The servings will depend on the size of the Cob Loaf.
Ingredients for Chicken & Asparagus Cobb Loaf:
- 500 ml sour cream
- 250-500 g grated cheddar cheese (according to individual taste)
- 3 chicken thighs or 1 chicken breast
- 1 (420 g) tin asparagus
- 1 large crusty cobb loaf
Preparation of Chicken & Asparagus Cobb Loaf:
- Cut the top off of the Cob Loaf about 1/4 of the way down. Set aside top.
- Gently scoop out the soft bread centre of the Cob Loaf, careful not to break the sides. Tear this soft bread into pieces for dipping and place on a baking tray with the hollow cob loaf.
- Bake in a moderate oven until crisp (avoid browning if possible). Take out and set aside.
- Finely dice Chicken and cook in a non-stick or lightly oiled frypan.
- In a large saucepan/pot over a medium heat, combine Sour Cream, Grated Cheese, Asparagus and cooked Chicken and stir until the cheese has melted and the mixture is warm. DO NOT BRIN TO THE BOIL!
- Pour mixture into the Cob Loaf, replace top and place in a moderate oven for 5 minutes to heat the outside. If you have some mixture left over just serve in a bowl beside the Cob.
- Serve on a Large Platter surrounded by the dipping pieces. Once the dipping pieces are devoured, break off the sides! The whole lot can be eaten. (The sides and bottom of the cob are the best!).