Chile Relleno Squares- Breakfast Version
Chile Relleno Squares- Breakfast Version SERVES 8 -10
A friend made this for breakfast at our MOPS meetings (Mothers of Preschoolers). They were always a hit!! Very YUMMY but not low fat! I make them every year for our Christmas morning relative open house (if you have kids, you know what I mean- all the grandparents and friends stop by to bring the kids something...). Not a big hit with the kids but the adults love it- and it is REALLY EASY!. Of course, it could be made for dinner as well. However, this tastes nothing like authentic Chile Rellenos. Yummy- but not authentic. PS- Not spicy unless you substitute in another kid of chile for the diced green canned chilies.
Ingredients for Chile Relleno Squares- Breakfast Version:
- 10 eggs
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 lb grated monterey jack cheese (about 2 cups??)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 (7 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup butter (I would not substitute with margarine)
Preparation of Chile Relleno Squares- Breakfast Version:
- In a 13x9 in baking dish, place the stick of butter.
- Place dish in the oven and set to 350 degrees (the butter will melt while the oven preheats).
- Meanwhile, beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Blend in- by hand- cottage cheese and grated cheese. Add flour, baking powder and green chilies.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven once the butter has melted and add the egg mixture- no need to stir. Cover with foil. If the oven has not yet preheat, wait until then, otherwise --
- Bake 45 mins at 350. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Optional- serve with sour cream and salsa.