Ataif / Atayif Bil Ishta -- Arab Pancakes Filled With Cream.
Ataif / Atayif Bil Ishta -- Arab Pancakes Filled With Cream. 25 -35 ataif approx
Ataif / Atayif are famous throughout the Arab world & are eaten most often during Ramadan. They are a little fiddly & time consuming to make but are certainly worth it! This recipe is an old one but very similar to the version Arabic Bites blog : http://arabicbites.blogspot.com/2007/06/ataif-bil-ashta.html - take a look at the step by step pictures :)
Ingredients for Ataif / Atayif Bil Ishta -- Arab Pancakes Filled With Cream.:
- 2 1/4 cups plain flour
- 6 g fast action dried yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups semi skim milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups semi skim milk
- 7 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons double cream, stiffly whipped
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup chopped pistachios
Preparation of Ataif / Atayif Bil Ishta -- Arab Pancakes Filled With Cream.:
- To make the filling:.
- Mix corn flour gradually with milk and sugar then bring it to boil in a medium sized, heavy bottomed pan.
- Stir continually until the mixture thickens, add the remaining ingredients & remove from heat. Spoon mixture into a bowl & refrigerate until cold.
- To make the dough:.
- Mix all the ingredients and allow to sit for 30-40 minutes.
- Ladle approximately 2 tablespoons of the mixture at a time onto a lightly greased, hot frying pan / skillet & cook until full of bubbles - only cook ONE side.
- After cooking all of the pancakes, let them cool a little.
- To assemble, gently fold in half & pinch the bottom half edge together - so that you have an opening to place the cream but the rest is sealed.
- Using a piping bag, fill each pancake with the cooled cream (ishta), before dipping the open ends in the chopped pistachios.