Libbies Poppy Seed Cake
Libbies Poppy Seed Cake SERVES 20
This is from my Czech momma in law. It is a really good cake. You must soak the poppy seeds overnight or they will sink to the bottom of the cake. This seems like a lot of poppy seeds, but it works. It's a rich cake folks, but holds well and everyone seems in a mellow mood after eating it. lol
Ingredients for Libbies Poppy Seed Cake:
- 2/3 cup poppy seed
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lard or butter
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon milk
Preparation of Libbies Poppy Seed Cake:
- Soak poppy seeds in 1 1/4 c milk overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream lard, sugar, honey, 3 egg yolks and vanilla together. Add dry ingredients; then add poppy seed mixture. When blended, fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Put in greased and floured cake pan.
- Bake until cake springs back when touched, about 40 minutes. Libby doesn't have exact time here folks. I was lucky to get measurements for her food--she's been doing it so long.
- For the frosting, combine butter and powdered sugar; then add lemon juice and milk. Spread on warm cake.