Cajeta (Crock Pot Method)
Cajeta (Crock Pot Method) 1 cup
The slow cooker allows milk to caramelize to a delicate golden brown with little monitoring. The result is Cajeta, the South American milk caramel sauce also known as dulce de leche. Pour it over fruit or a slice of pound cake, or stir it into vanilla ice cream. Adapted from Country Living magazine.
Ingredients for Cajeta (Crock Pot Method):
- 2 cups goat's milk (if unavailable, use all cow milk)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seed separated
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Preparation of Cajeta (Crock Pot Method):
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Stir well, and cook on high for 10 hours.
- Stir occasionally the last hour.
- Strain through a fine strainer and then store in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.
- Serve at room temperature. Good over cake, fruit, and ice cream. Enjoy!