Marinated Calamari SERVES 4 -6
This calamari is so juicy and tender. The squid is tenderised by overnight soaking in milk. Tossed in flour and deep fried. Serve with a squeeze of lemon and a salad on the side. Any quantities of squid can be used for this recipe- just adjust ingredient amounts to suit.
Ingredients for Marinated Calamari:
- 4 medium squid, use the hoods sliced into rings
- 1 cup milk
- 1 garlic clove or use bottled minced garlic
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1/2 cup flour or use gluten-free flour
Preparation of Marinated Calamari:
- Slcie the squid into rings and place in a small mixing bowl.
- Cover the squid with milk (use more or less as required. Add garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours (or at least overnight).
- Drain the calamari and discard the milk. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Toss calamari in flour. I use a large plastic bag to do this.
- Deep fry until golden. Serve hot.
- Do not overcook the calamari as it may toughen.
- NOTE: Cooking time does not include overnight marination time.