Crock Pot Rabbit Stew
Crock Pot Rabbit Stew SERVES 2
Variant on a few other rabbit / crock pot recipes I've tried. It makes a hearty one-pot meal for two people. I always like to leave the vegetables nice and chunky. You could try a little less liquid and therefore less flour to thicken, however I found this works well and the additional liquid plays well with the vegetables during cooking.
Ingredients for Crock Pot Rabbit Stew:
- 1 rabbit
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 425 g diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- 100 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 125 g shortcut bacon, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup flour
Preparation of Crock Pot Rabbit Stew:
- Grind pepper over the rabbit and place in the crock pot.
- Combine all other ingredients EXCEPT FLOUR in a large bowl, mix well and pour over the rabbit.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours for a small rabbit, or up to 8 hours for a large rabbit. Actually cook for half an hour less as below.
- Thirty minutes before ready blend flour with 1/2 cup of water until it is a smooth paste, add to the pot and stir well to thicken and continue cooking covered for a further 30 minutes.
- Give it a good stir and allow to rest 10-15 minutes before serving.
- At this point the rabbit should be so tender that you can tear pieces off with a fork to serve rather than cut. Just scoop it all out onto a plate.
- You'll end up with bones in the dish so eat much like you would a fish dish being careful for bones. Serve along with a nice crusty roll to soak up the juices.