Danish "Brun Kager" Brown Cookies
Danish "Brun Kager" Brown Cookies 5 doz apprx
Traditional Danish Christmas cookie. They have a wonderful spicy flavor that stays with you long after you eat it - It's the taste of Christmas to me. Sometimes it is tricky to slice the cookies, especially if you did not wrap & seal them well, then they tend to crumble. Seal them well and leave them 2 weeks in the fridge and you shouldn't have any trouble
Ingredients for Danish "Brun Kager" Brown Cookies:
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking ammonia (this is available at your local pharmacy, they'll probably give it to you when you say you only need)
- 1 teaspoon cardamom, powdered
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, powdered
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds
Preparation of Danish "Brun Kager" Brown Cookies:
- Melt the butter, sugar& corn syrup together.
- Sift dry ingredients and add to melted mixture.
- Form into 2 or 3 rolls, about 2" high, wrap in plastic so the rolls are completely sealed and chill in the refrigerator for at least a week, 2 weeks is better Slice thinly and place on a buttered cookie sheet (Just over a 1/4").
- Bake in moderate oven 375f for 5-7 minutes.