Black Eyed Peas With Herbs
Black Eyed Peas With Herbs SERVES 4 -6
This Moroccan dish is adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian. I serve this stew-like dish over rice for a delicious hearty vegetarian meal.
Ingredients for Black Eyed Peas With Herbs:
- 1 1/2 cups dried black-eyed peas, picked over
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole dried hot red chili pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Preparation of Black Eyed Peas With Herbs:
- Wash and drain black-eyed peas.
- Soak peas overnight in water that covers by 5 inches.
- Drain peas and discard soaking liquid.
- In a large pot, add the peas and 4 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Cover, turn the heat down to low, and simmer for 40 minutes or until the peas are tender; set aside without draining.
- Add the oil to a large skillet and put over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add in the chile and stir once; it should darken and puff up immediately.
- Quickly add in the garlic and stir once.
- Add the black-eyed peas and all the cooking liquid, the bay leaves, oregano, thyme, paprika, and salt.
- Stir mixture and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer gently, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.