Crab Casserole (Chinese Buffet)
Crab Casserole (Chinese Buffet) SERVES 6 , 6 cups
Every time I go to my fave Chinese restaraunt I HAVE to eat this crab casserole. I love the flavors, the texture, heck ... I just love everything about it except for the fact that it makes me wish I had a second stomach just so I could eat more!) At first I didn't think there was any breadcrumbs in it. My MIL said there is. So, I went and bought a bit of it and pulled it apart bit by bit and found there was indeed some breadcrumbs in it. Anyways, I believe this is how they make it. Please let me know what you think.
Ingredients for Crab Casserole (Chinese Buffet):
- 3 cups lump crabmeat, imitation is what I use
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fine breadcrumbs
Preparation of Crab Casserole (Chinese Buffet):
- Heat 4 tablespoons butter in saucepan.
- Add onion and celery; saute until veggies are tender.
- Blend in flour and salt.
- Add half and half slowly.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens nicely.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually add a small amount of sauce to the beaten egg. Stir rapidly as you add it.
- Return egg mixture to sauce and mix well.
- Add crab meat, bread crumbs and parsley and toss gently.
- Put all into a lightly buttered (I use the spray) lasagna pan (or you can use individual size casseroles).
- Sprinkle cheese over crab mixture.
- Bake in 350-degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is lightly browned.