Best Collard Greens Ever!
Best Collard Greens Ever! SERVES 4 -6
I wrote down this recipe from a Chef on television. I made my own slight changes. I have made this dozens of times and we lick the plate! I never liked collards until I discovered this recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do :-)
Ingredients for Best Collard Greens Ever!:
- 1/2 lb smoked meat (ham hocks, smoked turkey wings, or smoked neck bones)
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper sauce
- 2 bunches collard greens
- 1 tablespoon butter
- white vinegar
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
Preparation of Best Collard Greens Ever!:
- In a large pot, bring 3-4 quarts of water to a boil and add smoked meat, house seasoning, seasoned salt and hot sauce. Reduce heat to medium and cook for at least 1 hour.
- Step 2:.
- Wash the collard greens thoroughly. Remove the stems that run down the center by holding the leaf in your left hand and stripping the leaf down with your right hand. The tender young leaves in the heart of the collards don't need to be stripped. Stack 6 to 8 leaves on top of one another, roll up, and slice into 1/2 to 1-ince thick slices. Place greens in pot with meat and add butter. Cook for an hour to two hours.stirring occasionally, I have found the longer you cook it the better it is! When done taste and adjust seasoning.
- When I eat my collards I enjoy pouring some white vinegar over them with a pinch of salt and pepper.