Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
Thai Sweet Chili Sauce 1 1/2 cups
A versatile sweet and spicy condiment that can be added to Asian stir-fries, used as a dipping sauce or marinade, or as an accompaniment to any type of fritter or barbecued food. This is adapted from a recipe by Charmaine Solomon.
Ingredients for Thai Sweet Chili Sauce:
- 2 ounces fresh red chilies, roughly chopped (remove seeds if less heat is desired)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 4 ounces sultanas, chopped (white raisins)
- 1-2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Preparation of Thai Sweet Chili Sauce:
- Place chilies in a food processor with half the vinegar and process until the chilies are finely chopped.
- Do not be concerned if the chili seeds remain whole.
- Combine the chili and vinegar mixture with the remaining vinegar, and all other ingredients, in a small stainless steel saucepan (take care adding the salt- you can always add more later if you wish).
- Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil briefly, then reduce temperature to allow the mixture to simmer gently until the chilies and sultanas are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When cool, puree until almost smooth.
- Pour into a suitably sized sterilised bottle and seal.